Thursday, January 29, 2009

Getting Serious

Well I finally got serious about doing this walk, when I handed in my notice on Christmas Eve and put the AAWT down as #1 project on the To Do list.

Over Christmas/NY period, Clare and I explored the Bogong High Plains with 7 like minded SBW's and despite being literally blown off Mt Bogong and one night cold enough to freeze the water bottles, I'm still up for it.

Target Departure:
Monday, 2nd Feb from Sydney, put in food drops, start walk sometime Wed 5th. This timetable liable to be delayed by the fact there is still much to organise and the heatwave in VIC needs to run its course.

Duration:
I'm planning based around the 5 week schedule, though I hope to nibble a few days from this.
Rumpf Saddle 6 days
Hotham 5 days
Omeo HW 4 days
Thredbo 7 days
Kiandra 6 days
Tharwa 6 days

I need to return to Sydney for a week in early March, so I'll have to break out at Thredbo and restart later.

Philosophy:
Ultralight - Base weight should end up around 5.5 - 6kg. Worst case total, with food and water, say 15kg, so should be able to maintain a good pace.

Still a huge amount to do. Purchased food today - seems to be way to much right now with more still to purchase. Maps and verious guidenotes all sorted into their sections. Last minute gear to be made up or modified.

Karl

No comments:

Post a Comment