Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New Toy


I wanted to make up a new tarp for the trip. The current 10x8 is too large for solo use and the 9x5 is far too small width wise to offer protection and headroom. I wanted the roominess of the double and the weight of the single.

This design is based on one at the Backpackinglight website. I extended it another 12", so the main panel is 7.5' long. With the front and back beaks the total length is 9.5'. The main panel is 4.5' wide at the front and tapers to 33" at the back. There is plenty of room for all my gear on either side.

The anchor ties are very robust, and I added a couple extra down the sides for strong winds. I've just added lifters this evening on the side panels to create even more room. Clare thought it was a double, when she checked it out.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome, certainly it is quite attractive. Weight of tarp only is 285 g, without guys and stakes. Material is Silnylon, 5 yards exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment