Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Margaret and Eddie


Saints!

I effectively hoisted myself upon this couple out of the blue in Walhalla. One moment they are having a quiet coffee at the only place open in Walhalla after a week of touring VIC and catching up with friends. The next, they are somehow obliged to give a ragged, smelly, complete stranger a lift to Mel.

Leaving Walhalla, we checked out Thomson Reservoir. Perfect, I had been up and down through its headwaters of the Thomson for the last 4 days, so I was keen to see what it was all about.

Later, we had got to the main road running west to Mel, when I made the mistake of mentioning that fresh fruit / veges was what you craved in the bush. Next thing the car is pulled up, the Esky has been raided and bananas, oranges, biscuits and hot cross buns magically appear.

I had agreed with Eddie, that any public transport into central Mel would be fine, when suddenly E&M suggest I stay the night with them at Geelong. I'd been feeling a bit crook the last week, so a family home and friendly company is appealing and I agree.

We stop at the local club for a meal on the way through and quickly visit the family business to check all is well, before we arrive at their home and I am given the choice of guest rooms, and run of the bathroom and laundry.

Absolutely everything, including the pack, goes in the wash (remember E&M have a weeks worth of washing themselves). Magically track pants, a sweat top and even socks appear as I have nothing to wear. After a shower and a shave I feel like a human again. After a cuppa, I slept like a log on a super comfy bed.

Next morning there is porridge and as much coffee and toast as I want. Whippetman phones to organise to meet face to face, so I can pass on what I have learnt, for their attempt in spring. We are stunned to realise we are both in Geelong. When he calls to pick me up, Andrew is immediately invited to morning tea and then for lunch.

Eddie and Margaret, I really can not thank you enough for your kindness to a complete stranger. God Bless You.


Some coincidences.
E&M have travelled widely round the world over the last ten years, so we had a number of places to compare notes on including Egypt, the UK, China and Canada. My mother is also called Margaret and mysteriously they both suffer a similar rare medical condition.

I should have figured there was a German connection when Eddie checked the origin of my name. Turns out he was born in Poland and spent his first 10 years caught in the middle of WWII and its immediate aftermath. Most of this time in Bavaria (home of OSRAM), including the towns of Regensberg and Augsberg where OSRAM have plants. He and his brother had a few lucky escapes including a skating on thin ice near drowning that reminded me of something similar that happened to my brother.

The big coincidence though was to learn they had just been to NZ and spent their time with friends at a small township called Coromandel. As a kid and young adult we used to visit this harbour and its village from our boat regularly for supplies of fuel, water, bread, milk, fruit and of course the all important ice-cream bribe to walk the 2k into town. I caught my first and only decent sized Schnapper in this harbour and I used to play with the tender and windsurfer in the tidal race between the mainland and the first island. To see this place again in their photos was quite remarkable!

E&M - Thanks again for your generous hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment